Thursday 31 July 2014

'Annie & Butch'



The outdoor screenings at Somerset House are here & I was invited back by Print Club London to contribute artwork for one of my all time favourite films, Annie Hall.  It was almost too perfect an opportunity.. and how to visually compress such epic'ness in just two colours?  Pah.  
Instead of going for the obvious route I dallied with for 'Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid' last summer, I chose a subtler approach.  With a plethora of quotes from which to pick, it was his comment on his childhood home that sealed the deal..


"My analyst says I exaggerate my childhood memories, but I swear I was brought up underneath the roller coaster in the Coney Island section of Brooklyn. Maybe that accounts for my personality, which is a little nervous, I think. You know, I have a hyperactive imagination. My mind tends to jump around a little, and uh I I I have some trouble between fantasy and reality. My father ran the bumper car concession. Th-there he is, and there I am. Right. I I used to get my aggression out through those cars all the time. I remember the staff at our public school. You know, we had a saying, uh but.. Those who can't do, teach and those who can't teach, teach gym."

Annie & Butch are available to purchase here..